Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I Forgot - But He was Holding Out His Hand

Oh Lord God,

How dimly now the path is lit before me.
How darkly now the trees and shadows loom.
How quickly now I try to find my own way
By groping down a path that leads to doom.

But then my ears pick up Your still small whisper
When finally in defeat I humbly lay.
"Get up, My Child." And gently I am lifted.
Shamefacedly, I turn to You and say:

"I forgot that You were walking right beside me.
I forgot that You had offered me Your hand.
I forgot You never took from me Your goodness.
I forgot - until I fell in shifting sand."

Oh God, how often I forget Your tender mercies.
How often I refuse Your daily care.
Until brought low by toil and by trouble,
How often I foget that You are there.

Lord, please pick me up and I will humbly follow.
I will follow, Lord, wherever You will lead.
I will hold Your hand and trust Your gentle whisper.
I will love You, and Your charges I will heed.

"I forgot that You were walking right beside me.
I forgot that You have offered me Your hand.
I fogot You never take from me Your goodness.
I forgot - but now in Your grace I'll stand."

No comments: