Tuesday, July 22, 2008

God Still Speaks

Job 2:10
"But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips."

Have you ever suspected that God put a verse in the Bible just for you? Job 2:10 was for me. Have you ever wondered why Job's wife was so mean? She wasn't really. But God needed her to say what she said to Job, so that Job could respond, "Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh." God had Job say that so that a few thousand years down the road, a young woman name Rebekah would read it and think,"Oops!"
I have asked God for answers, been given them, and then been angry because it was not the answer that I had wanted. Thus Job's question becomes directed toward me. "What? Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?" God help us to be more like Job and less like Job's wife. You see, Job's wife was one of those American Christians. She ate, drank, and slept the Health and Wealth Gospel. But the gospel of Christ is a story of love, hatred, death, and victory. Hard times will come. The winds will sweep over you. It is the winds that chisel and wear away the stones in the desert that make them beautiful masterpieces. "So let the storms rage high, the dark clouds rise. They won't worry me. For I'm sheltered safe within the arms of God. He walks with me, and naught of earth shall harm me. For I'm sheltered in the arms of God."
I chose the picture above because it is the sunset over the Kalahari Desert. No, the Kalahari may not be your first choice for an leisurely afternoon stroll, but even in that empty deserted wasteland, God's handiwork can be seen. And when you find yourself in the desert, remember, God is in it. "What? Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?."

"In all this did not Job sin with his lips."

No comments: