Thursday, April 30, 2009

Proverbs 29:25: Free from the Snare of Fear

“The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe.”

When I was very young my family lived in a duplex in Washington State. There were 9 of us at that time, so we actually lived in both sides. A door was put in between the two houses, but you had to walk through two long hallways that opened to the outside and to the garages. I had so many nightmares about people trying to break into this house and having to run around and lock all the doors and windows. My parents and the boys stayed on one side of the house, and the girls on the other. There were only two rooms on both sides of the house, so my little sister and I slept in the living room. Eventually I grew tired of being afraid. One who lets his fear take over him becomes a coward and is useless in dangerous or even uneasy situations. I decided to give my fear to God. Whenever I was alone in a dark room, I would laugh at my fear and begin praying or singing. Yes, I was still afraid, but my fear was under control. I was telling God that if something happened to me than I knew it was part of His plan. He was in control, not my fear.
Fear is a snare. It grabs on to the person it controls and won’t let go, unless something greater can take hold of that person. In 1st John 4:18 the Bible says, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.” God is love. If we let our fear control us, we are telling God that He is not enough.
“Whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe.” As Christians God has promised that no man can pluck us out of His hand. We are safe. Right now I am in Africa, but I know for a fact that I am just as safe here as I was in Washington! The God who protected me from harm in America is the same God who holds me safely in His arms in Africa!
Put your fear behind you. Give to God your sorrow and your trouble, and lean on His everlasting arms. He does promise that He will never leave you nor forsake you. Trust Him, and let Him keep you safe.

No comments: