Thursday, April 30, 2009

Proverbs 30:8-9: Satisfied

“Remove far from me vanity and lies; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, who is the Lord? Or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.”

The author of this strong prayer is Agur. Nothing is truly known about him, but it is assumed that he was one of Solomon’s sages. Though this is not my reason for choosing these verses, I would like to point out that God uses little people. How many Christians have found treasures in this great Proverb? And it was written by someone who would be considered a nobody in the eyes of the world today. Agur? Who is Agur? God knows who Agur is. God knows who you are. You may be small, but He can still use you!
What a wise man Agur must have been! Perhaps it came from watching the wisest man who ever lived. Here was King Solomon. He had riches, honor, glory… everything one could ask for from life, and yet he was not satisfied, and he turned from God. I picture Agur as a man who saw both the richest and the poorest on a daily basis. There was joy and fulfillment in neither one. The man who had great riches was inclined to rely on his riches and deny God. His appetite was so satisfied and his glory so great that it affected his heart, and he forgot to turn to the giver of gifts. However, the poor man had nothing and was forced to steal simply for survivals sake. (Gotta love those S’s) In doing so, he was saying that god was not strong enough to provide for his needs, and his belief in God was vanity. It lasted only as long as he knew where his next meal was coming from.
Agur glanced from one side to the other, and then turned his eyes toward heaven. His prayer was, “Give me neither riches neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me.” Agur prayed a prayer for provision and contentment. It was the apostle Paul who said, “I have learned in whatsoever state I am therewith to be content.” The happiest people are not those who have the most. They get to stay up all night and worry about those possessions. They get to guard their early bubbles, lest they wake up in the morning and find that they’ve all been blown away. The happiest people are not those who have the least, but it is the man who has only what he needs who is the happiest. Does not God promise to provide our every need? It’s time to look at ourselves and see where we stand. Are we standing with the rich man, who has turned his eyes off God to watch his possessions? Are we standing with the poor man, who has turned his eyes off God to see how he can provide for himself? Or are we standing with Agur, saying, “God, feed me with food convenient for me.” The last part of Psalm 2:12 tells us, “Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him.” Do you want the blessings of God? Then take your trust off of the supplies and put it on the supplier.

No comments: